Friday, January 8, 2010

Can you expand on that?

This is my first full week back at work. Unfortunately it coincided with my first in town expansion. I had to go through some rigmarole to get an appointment, so I jumped on the first one they offered-Wednesday morning at 7:30 am. I had the day to relax, and went to work at 6pm to pull the first of three all-nighters. The down side was that the 50ccs of extra saline in each side made quite a stink under my muscle. My expanders are at 450ccs each now, which is technically full capacity. This doctor and my Seattle surgeon have differing views on how much overfill one can achieve with a given expander. The local doc thinks filling a 450cc expander to 850cc (as I had been told would be needed to achieve a D cup) will only result in me having a rock hard ball under my pectoralis. This, as you may expect, would be incredibly uncomfortable and probably a bit counter productive.

The Seattle plastics surgeon was rather flippant about most questions I had and never gave me much in the way of specific answers. That combined with the fact that I never saw him after the initial consult, and don't even know if he actually performed the second half of my procedure with his own hands, leaves me devoid of loyalty or confidence. The Seattle surgeon from the SCCA who removed the breast tissue was the reason I made the trip, and the plastics doc was more of an afterthought. Though the local plastics doc doesn't promise a return to my original size, he offers several other benefits which have resulted in my decision to have him see me through the remainder of my expansion and on through my exchange surgery.

He has great credentials and a very good bedside manner. There was no excessive poking.

He gave logical, clear explanations and answered all of my questions to my satisfaction.

Having the last surgery locally will be more convenient and less expensive. I trust the hospital staff here to take better care of me post op than did the nursing staff at UW. Joseph will be able to keep up with school and care for me simultaneously. My friends will be able to visit and help out.

I feel confident that I will wake up from surgery with the results I'm told I can expect. Of course there is always a bit of uncertainty with a procedure like this, but I think any changes would be because of a medical necessity rather than an error.

I like the idea that the money stays in the community.

Scheduling will be easier now that I'm "in."

So...
I have two more expansions scheduled, and then I could be ready for the exchange surgery. It's nice to think that this all could be done sooner than I thought, and without a long trip to Seattle and back. Hopefully I can come out of this with a nice set of C cups and the promise of someday sleeping on my side again...

No comments:

Post a Comment