Well-I've gotten through surgery and have four weeks of recovery under my belt. It was much more painful than I'd anticipated, but I'm really glad I did it. The actual breast removal didn't seem to be where the pain originated from, but rather the expanders that were placed under the pectorals and pumped up with 350ccs of saline before I even woke up. I think the pain would have been much more tolerable those first few days if those expanders were done differently. Also, I think if the hospital staff were a bit more on their game, I could have had my pain managed better.
I abandoned this blog for the CaringBridge web page-something I felt comfortable with everyone seeing and staying updated with. This blog is a bit more raw and gritty. I'm hoping to transfer the posts from there to here so that all is documented more thoroughly. I guess the overview is that I was surprised at the discomfort, but stoked on the choice, the results, and the range of motion. I've never had a major surgery like this before, so I realize now that there were things associated with that which I didn't know about. So much for all that research! But honestly, I did know the really important stuff and I was glad to easily follow the doctor's information as they relayed it.
I returned home the day before yesterday, and I'm looking forward to being able to drive myself around and see all of my friends again. The outpouring of support was mind blowing. Simply mind blowing. Dad really stepped it up, Joseph just flabbergasted me with his attentive and gentle wound care and showering, etc. Friends and relatives sent care packages and there was not a yarn shortage in sight! I've felt rather optimistic throughout this process, and each little new thing I can do physically is a happy little success-like going though an expedited childhood.
Joseph managed to secure housing for us before coming out to meet me, and we got the keys yesterday. Not having seen the inside before, it was very exciting to look around and plan what we were going to do with the place. We have some AWESOME ideas! This will be, by far, the most phenomenal housing I've ever had. Dad has floated us this month's rent and is coming to help move and is buying us a new bed. All wonderful things that make me feel both completely excited and somewhat guilty. But, ya know, I've never been a big fan of guilt, and there were times in my life where he really dropped the ball-so I'll graciously accept his help:)
No comments:
Post a Comment